Backend Engineer (Elixir) (m/f/d)
Full-time, Germany or remote (Europe and Africa is preferred)
At smartvokat, we build digital process management applications for legal professionals. With digital transformation and legal tech being on the rise, we strive to be at the forefront of realising the untapped potential of making transformation accessible to all stakeholders. As part of our software engineering team, you’ll work on exciting challenges which come with highly-optimised workflow automation tools in a mostly regulated legal and compliance environment.
We are looking for new team members who possess robust experience in web application development, are keen to explore unchartered territory, and indulge in high-quality code. Ideally, you are able to balance turning around prototyping ideas quickly and writing stable, well-tested, and well-documented code.
As a geographically dispersed and virtual team, we are looking for team players with excellent communication skills and a passion for early-stage companies. You will contribute to building our architecture and processes as we scale and help growing the software engineering team in the future. Your presence will make a difference to both, our applications portfolio and the company.
What we are looking for:
- Solid understanding how to build and optimize complex backend services.
- Initial experience using Elixir or Erlang and a desire to learn.
- Optional: Familiarity with GraphQL, PostgreSQL, and Docker.
- Optional: Familiarity with other languages and environments: Node.js, TypeScript, Go, or Rust.
- Well-versed with distributed version control systems (e.g., Git).
- Familiarity with continuous deployment and integration practices.
- Fluent in English with excellent communication skills.
How you can contribute:
Our primary product at smartvokat is called Workflows. Workflows will allow non-technical personnel—mostly lawyers—harnessing the power of digitalization and streamling their processes. It allows them to code without actually coding. Albeit not widely marketed, Workflows is already in production use.
Currently, these are the tasks on our development agenda:
- Working together with senior engineers on our notification system (websockets and email)
- Allowing customers to run their own code on our infrastructure, much like AWS Lambda, with a focus on performance. The challenge is to run a secure sandbox at scale while maintaining low latencies.
- Workflows is a flexible platform which adapts its GraphQL API dynamically based on use cases and integrations. The challenge is to do dynamic schemas per request while allowing external developers to change the schema without breaking things.
- We need a full-text search engine (Elasticsearch) for content on our platform, stored documents, and ingested logs for external developers.
We certainly have many more ideas, including artificial intelligence (e.g., NPL) and big data analysis (e.g., for electronic discovery).
What we offer:
- A team of entrepreneurial-minded colleagues who are on a mission.
- A flat hierarchy with lots of opportunities to develop “your space”.
- Mentorship and exposure to ground-breaking projects in the Legal industry.
- Working in a virtual environment and still be part of an agile and highly collaborative environment
- Autonomous nature of working remotely and integrating work in your life (not the other way round)
- Several perks designed for your well-being and a healthy work-life balance
Please be advised that enquiries or resumes from recruiters will not be accepted. Only direct applicants will be considered. The same goes for enquiries from development agencies or outsourcing firms—please do not contact us.